Still Straight, No Chaser..

 

It might be due to having watched the documentary, seeing the joy and abandonment with which he played the piano, seeing his legs go all wiry bending them in consonance with the discordant chords he played, child-like gestures, and god like eccentricity  that made me fall mad and deeply in love with Thelonious Monk’s Straight No Chaser album which is in my humble opinion is up there for me alongside Speak No Evil, Blue Train and Kind of Blue as one of the greatest Jazz album of all times.
 
The first track Locomotive have become the very soundtrack of my life which stipulates that slowly but surely l will get there. Tada tadam Dam While the eponymous track is quite dangerous. You notice a lot of discordant tunes ta dum, Yeah discordant tunes and fiery piano that make for a swings like no other; the best part is that I get to dancing, and dancing just like Thelonious does and belive me I have been practicing this dance not just on his albumsbut with other jazz album too.
The Trick is to act like you are trying to free yourself off a jacket by flinging it behind, Like suddenly bending to pick up a nickel just before someone steps on it, or About to fall sideways and suddenly pick yourself. The dance step is symbolic of life’s dance, it’s assured undulations and having the strength to continue every time something like a locomotive.
 Japanese folk song make me merry and We see is the jam. The playing on this album is crisp, measured and well tailored in a very purposed and poetic undulation in track and track-listing. He is considered an unparalleled genius so much so his music isn’t just called Jazz it’s called Monk’s music. The man sacrificed so much and eventually himself to give the piano the leading and importance that it has come to have in Jazz and the love I have for him I have transferred to his disciples who model in his kind of playing which is why I completely worship Andrew Hill and Mal Waldron. If there is anything you would want to add in a bucket list it would be that before you die, You just have to listen to Straight No Chaser album by Thelonious Monk.

 

Monk Dancing

Download the Album HERE



e5

Comments