The J Cole/Kendrick Argument (the Heart and the Head)






Whenever thee are two superstars who are achieving what they should be at the peak of their careers there will always be comparison. Messi/C.Ronaldo, Jordan/Bryant e.t.c and J Cole and Kendrick have been likened to  Biggie and 2Pac and their location don't play fair in highlighting the comparison. 
Many blogs have done this comparisons, knowing they are just opinions of humans. I didn't know i would be having nor posting one until one afternoon when i was buzzed by Dennis and he sent this



\





Zetsu: I might be compelled to argue for Cole

Dennis: There's no argument you can make for J. Cole
Check that out. I like J. Cole, he's just a C+ rapper and a B producer to me

Zetsu: But he speaks to the people. Communication is not complete until it has feedback. And that is only possible with understanding of the content given to you. Cole is a Man for the people, Forget lyricism - emotions shouldn't be cleverized, they just are, and the same from the Autistic black man to the Harvard Graduate, and only Cole bloods the line showing us that our existentiality is very similar. No matter the place we find ourselves, we are faced by similar demons - And to us who are intelligent, exposed and "rational" it might sound corny. But "corny" is what gave birth to us, "corny" is what we end up marrying, "corny" is what give us balance, "corny" is who we call to when we don't understand life. Word to my grandma who lost her son and still think Jesus is the way.
We(rational ones) turn atheist as soon as the next girl who we are trying to sleep with tells us No. We blame God and rate our existence above par (I digressed).
Why because of our choice of music, Friends and exposure. When was the last time we had anything to say to that our one friend who doesn't listen to rap?
I feel J Cole have found that out. That people are not that smart so he is acting as a bridge to link us so that we that are "smart" don't fall victim of emotional incest and see more people to relate with on a more enjoyable level.
Word to God I have been able to talk to more people about rap since Forest Hills Drive dropped. I understand that it is necessary for the artist to show us the complexity of his mind. I also have works I call pramps and still that's just a tip. But when you decide to abnegate yourself and pursue a higher mission. That's true greatness.Let us all understand hip hop
What's the essence of being the best when you are the only one that knows it.
What are your yardsticks for grading him ?

Dennis: Great argument. Same could be argued for mumble rappers, no?

Zetsu: No mumble to me is quite different. You see a lot of people don't know how good Kendrick is. and still as good as Kendrick I feel Lupe is better. They are both saying the same thing but when one is actually talking about it one is rapping sonorously about it.

Dennis: This is the issue - he created a perception, he just hasn't lived up to it with the MUSIC not the impactJ. Cole has a lot more influence on me than any other rapper, except Kanye. I'm just not deluding myself into believing he's an A1 artist. This is an argument of the head, not the heart.
Your head analyses the music, your heart holds the message.

Zetsu: Lemme explain. Kendrick says he comes from a place where men aren't suppose to show emotions and I feel J Cole from that place too.
But you look at song like Kendrick "u" and J Cole's "Apparently". They are saying the same thing while Kendrick talks about the complexity of the mind when it comes to love, J Cole sings about love as an emotions without boundary and how the average feels about it. Even though Society-wise A Man is not suppose to be that lose with his feelings and should battle them internally
 I know J Cole is not an A1 rapper, Hell Kendrick isn't either. when I talk about these two people I have guys who will stomp me to death preaching to me about Slaughter house, Army of the Pharaohs, Jedi Mind Tricks etc
But look at the audience of this people and get my point
Dennis: Kendrick is A1.

Zetsu: Opinion

Dennis: The only A1 of his generation. Two classic albums back to back support my opinion. What supports yours?

Zetsu: He isn't. You only feel that way because he draws attention to himself (his complex intelligence) and not the music. I am still listening to GOODkid maad city" right now. And my best song is "Sing about Me." In that song Kendrick touched my heart and anybody can relate


Dennis: Every great magician knows that eyes have to be on you to perform the trick,
even J. Cole draws attention to himself. But saying Kendrick draws attention to himself more than the music is very wrong.
You're confusing relating with the music to technical ability. What Lupe song relates best to you?

Zetsu: But when it comes to using rap to touch the heart of all and sundry from you the genius annotator to the agbero (street thug) on the street J Cole's wet dreams is relatable. I feel J Cole is purposely not being too lyrical not because he isn't, but because he wants to talk to a group of audience apart from annotators. Look at Lupe fiasco album after listening we pressurize for the next thing and rate His important based on how confused he makes us feel.
 I just think that artist should transcend the idea of making their music theirs and make it for everybody. For Christ sake j Cole "Love Yours" saved a child from committing suicide. Not lyricism.

Dennis: Now this is wrong, you can't make timeless music without being true to yourself, Every time Cole raps, he's doing it from his own perspective. So does any other rapper true to the art form.
As for saving a child So did Kendrick's "I"
I'm just talking technical ability right now
No one is arguing how accessible J. Cole's music is, it's the technical part that is highly debatable

Zetsu: Technicality gets old to me and only the message remains. No one remember how Jesus preached but his message of love is the only thing left
My point is to say that Kendrick is better is just based on differential perspective. Try convincing an Olamide head that Kendrick is better. The truth is that he doesn't care when it comes to technicality Kendrick speaks better, but when I look around at the regimented and dark mind of Nigerians caused from the kind of music they are exposed to. Only Cole stands a chance of bridging them close or enlighten enough for them to be able to share in your criticism.
And for me, that surpasses technicality. Apart from me I don't see Ten people who would be able to agree with Kendrick technicality with you.
 And that's why I respect Cole more because I feel he is removing technicality from his music and doing it for people now. I know you might want to compare Born Sinner with GKMC, or Warm up with Section 80 and at all of them " Kendrick came in first place " but I'd listen to Warm Up a thousand time before thinking of listening to Kendrick.
Intentions before listen : For Kendrick it's forgotten punchlines, For Cole it is forgotten stories

Dennis: You'd think you're correct, I introduced a friend to Kendrick, man only listens to Nigerian music. Two weeks later he was asking for more.
I read an article titled 'Perspective is a Lie'. And he had a point, everyone takes an angle that suits them. I listen to more Cole than Kendrick at the moment. but the truth is that technically, K dot's wayyyy ahead.

Zetsu: You think Kendrick is a better artist maybe because of the song with Imagine Dragons.
A song that was spurred by a Grammy nominated album that was blessed by the ultimate Dr Dre and we wonder why Messi won't do well in Barcelona.(i alluded)
Kendrick have the tools to progress if you ask me. But I compare J Cole to C. Ronaldo wining the World Best from Premiership

Dennis: Removing technicality from music is impossible, even mumble rappers have some technical abilities - Vocal inflection, melody.
This is wrong. Cole is signed to Jay-Z remember? He just wants to do his shit on his own which is admirable but it exposes his deficiencies a lot more.
So, Ronaldo at United didn't have tools/assistance to become world best? Cmon man, you're making this argument too easy. J. Cole is credited for his ability to turn every situation into a story that anyone can tune into so can Kendrick, y'all just think it's complex because you like it easy.



Zetsu:I don't like it easy, Hell I listened to Ab-Soul before J Cole. Even in my Literature I don't make it easy
But you say J Cole have deficiencies, why then do you feel those deficiencies are wrong. 
The issue about one being way ahead is because of what you have heard and your flawed sense of adjudication. I strongly feel I am more intelligent than Hon. Patrick and I don't have to speak big grammars to communicate
 I am saying. Not using them or sounding bland and boring for communication is un-credited sometimes.

Dennis: Imagine "Poetic Justice" without Drake's verse or The Game's "Crenshaw" without Anderson .Paak's hook. The right features enhance an album

Zetsu: What are your yardstick of measurement who are you to know what goes on in an artist mind. Deficiencies as you call are found by your own flawed mind that is just as dysfunctional and subjective as the artist. J Cole is perfect!
Comparisons only come from diversified subjectivism. You know how long it took you had to convince me to listen to Kanye. And I Still don't think Jay -Z is all that, but I don't think he has deficiencies.
You can't remove the artist from his art. To you they are just teeth but to J Cole those crooked teeth are his personality his style, his canvas and there is no way you can say he is better or bad at his painting. it is his
My Messi, Ronaldo  antonomasia was just to buttress the hardwork/talent argument

Dennis: 
1) lyrics
2) flow
3) intent
4) impact
5) backdrop: production
 The only categories Cole matches up to Kendrick is 3 & 4, don't even drag.

Zetsu: I am Still into the talk deficiency and I had a Friend who listened to Kendrick u and saw a 
deficiency. He listened to "u" and was like "why is he shouting?". You see music listen is subjective. and I don't feel K Dot is better

Dennis: Since I've been listening to Hip-Hop and music generally, I know opinions are important. But objectivity is still key.

Zetsu: Production is not Kendrick problem

Dennis: Why? Because he's not a producer? You know he has to choose his own backdrop right?

Zetsu: I know This will answer your question why do you listen to Kendrick?

Dennis: 1) hype 2) because I like his music approach. Same thing for J.Cole Same thing for every rapper whose music I return to.
One thing I'm sure of is even though I'm a Jermaine super fan. He's just not top 20 rappers to rap.

Zetsu: If you feel Kendrick is better than Cole. I'd agree but I don't see anybody who does Kendrick's music like him, in terms of lyricism I prefer Ab- Soul because of how he times his flows. 
I also think that no one does J.Cole music like J.Cole. And I love him.
But If  your yardsticks of appraisal was flows, technicality and lyricism. I just want to let you know that Cole did that in "Born Sinner" and have transcended that phase quoting him
" He listened to his old sh*t and top it".
Every artist moves from the statistical rap to making his own music Mac Miller on "God is Fair and Nasty" said he wanted to feature Kendrick but didn't want a Kendrick song. When you listen to Kendrick of Bitch Don't kill my vibe, Real, and Compton who will believe that the tu tu tu (Gun shooting Tu Pac Influenced) way of the maad city rapper would change to the sonorous rapper who has this uwu wu way of rapping . I guess that's Kendrick's music. Their mission is different I guess let Kendrick keep making music for those in jail and leave J Cole with us that want to Be free (pun intended)

Dennis: 'Perspective is a lie, there's just one unique truth'
I might need to educate you on technique, so you'd fully understand.

Zetsu: And that truth still is flawed

Dennis: When are you free this week?


    Conclusively I feel the music you listen at the moment falls to the subjectivity of your brain based on your mood at that particular time. the only reason for music to be called the best or bad is based on how and when 
He feels that this is an argument of the head when we evaluate our prophets rating them according to grades assigned to us in school. grades that we were institutionalized with. In our flawed existence we are constantly looking for the best, the first and who is better just so we can say "we told you" or in your face" with the same "first" mentality
as Andy Mineo put it, t is okay to be the last. and for two rappers, this is just one of those arguments people involve themselves in to pass the day away. they make their own music oblivious of us and feel satisfied in their own way. Techniques, flows, artistry are all man made evaluation techniques flawed also from the outset. 

Dennis is a prolific music review guru with years of music listen that gives him the adjudication to be able to pontificate in matter like this.
I am the fairly new listener with a wholistic view of music listen and project that subjective understanding on music understanding based on the didacticism gotten from Cole's listen. and prays He thinks the same way.




Not done! Dennis Peter (@ayo_dennis)  and Victor Samuel ( aka zetsu @thevictorsamuel)

Comments