Dancing in Circles


I stared at the mirror
and back the clock.
Doing it in alternation
till it no longer amused me
On the last round, I settled on the mirror
and observed my face,
"Have I gotten uglier?"
My hair haven't grown so I
was convinced I haven't.

So I shifted to the clock and settled for it
I observed the hands,
Some sailed west, some east.
Dancing in circles at their own speed
like they were on a mission
Each knowing exactly what was to be found.

I was convinced they did,
for if they didn't, they wouldn't
trail the big city matching the same point
after only a few seconds or minutes
sometimes, hours.
At a point the seemed to enjoy certain positions
for they ceased to move,
maybe I thought they did
It was at the time that you normally come
But that day, I knew you wouldn't
or ever do.


- Afeez Awoyemi

Comments