A Few Good Media

 




My earliest definition of what constitutes a good album is that which have at least 3 good songs in them, songs that are good and vibe-able, obviated in my playlist and single section of the blog that contains 3 tracks from each album I have come to lament that after more than 50 months and over 600 albums posted I have found it quite hard to see albums that qualify under this criteria, I did complain about my drums becoming hardened and me becoming hard to impress, but I have come to lament and bemoan what I call a plethora of similar albums; people singing almost the same way and same style, it makes you ask yourself where have I heard this before, what is this person trying to say that I haven’t heard. 

So it boils down to flow, how can you say “ I don’t give a fuck” in a way that haven’t been said before. I have therefore come to bemoan and accept the fact that we may well have very few good media. Part of my job for this blog is the filtering of album listen, admitted they fall victim to my mood, knowledge, preference for certain kind of sounds, and catharsis but still I recently had to go through over 600 albums and streamlined it to 170, and just like that the life work of many people get sent to the recycle bin never to be seen again, 
Why, they sound similar, afraid, scared, typical and don’t hit on a guttural level, 

One things artistes should know is that nothing is ever that stagnant , your listeners are growing too and you have to meet them halfway or be ready to take them somewhere higher, enough of that predictable shit, Plus since the death of god in our times, people now have a preference for spiritual music, music with deeper meanings, lyrics and transcendental sounds And with the new found fluidity in gender, predictable masculinity and penile braggadocio don’t seem to be a thing anymore. 

The word is calm and beauty, what music gives me enough calm and makes me feel beautiful. And when we evaluate music or even media under those encompassing terms, many still fall short of the measure And you best believe we can hear it, the lack of suffering in your voice, I don’t know how to describe it, but with over 2,000 albums that hit these drums I can just tell if you haven’t been there and back, you have to suffer to make good music and we can tell the lack of intentionality when we listen, This is why pop as a genre has been cremated. 

So I have been trying my best to make the best albums to download which is still a personal best subjected to my mood and knowledge at that particular moment and time up to 10 albums but I have to say the number is bound to reduce soon, because there are very few good media out there sadly. There is a silver lining that, that ignored album of yours is just beyond me at the moment and with time I will find out what a beauty it is, and be rest assured it will get the worship it deserves 

But for now, they are few and get fewer by the day. 



- Victor Samuel 

Comments